Ammonia (NH3) is manufactured from natural gas (methane) and air (contains nitrogen).
Ammonia is manufactured in Australia.
Ammonia is used as an industrial refrigerant, in cleaning products, fermentation, brewing and winemaking .
Ammonia is also used to manufacture:
- Ammonium sulphate which is used in fertilisers
- Ammonium nitrate which is used in fertilisers for crops
- Ammonium phosphates which are used in fertilisers and animal feed
- Ammonium nitrate which is used in explosives for mining, construction and the oil and gas industries
- Urea which is used in:
- animal feeds
- the manufacture of AdBlue®
The use of chemical fertilisers in agriculture increases agricultural yields, so avoiding emissions from land-use change .
Explosives are essential in the mining industry which is Australia’s largest industry sector.
AdBlue® is a fluid used to reduce emissions, and an essential additive in the catalytic convertor fitted to the exhaust systems of some diesel cars and trucks.