Collection Notice - Chemistry Australia Ltd
This Collection Notice sets out the matters described in Australian Privacy Principle (APP) 5.2 (as part of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)) as they relate to Chemistry Australia Ltd ACN 063 335 615 (which, for the purpose of this Collection Notice includes any of its Related Bodies Corporate, as that term is defined in the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth)) (Chemistry Australia, we, us, our), when we collect personal information about you. We are not legally bound by the Privacy Act (1988) (Cth), however as a matter of best practice, the APP’s set the standard for how we aim to deal with your personal information.
1. Purpose of Collection
We collect personal information primarily to:
- record and manage your employer’s membership of Chemistry Australia and the products and services available to you as part of that membership;
- deliver Chemistry Australia’s products and services to you; and
- manage our relationship with you.
If it is reasonable to expect that we would use or disclose your personal information for purposes which are related to the above primary purposes, we may also use or disclose your personal information to:
- assist you with enquiries or complaints;
- develop and improve our membership service and relationships;
- promote, advertise and market any of our products and services, including to invite you to seminars or events hosted or supported by Chemistry Australia;
- comply with our legal obligations (including to comply with any law or any lawful request of a law enforcement agency or government authority), resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our clients and enforce our agreements with third parties such as your employer; and
- inform you of developments at Chemistry Australia and other services that we can provide.
We may use information collected through our Website for the purpose of gauging visitor traffic, trends and delivering personalised content to you while you are at our Website.
Where possible, we will provide you with a choice to opt-out of any of the above and any of our marketing communications. We will respect your request to decline to receive these marketing communications. If you wish to update your communications preferences, you can contact Chemistry Australia. Our contact details are set out in Item 6 of this Collection Notice.
2. Types of personal information collected and consequences if personal information is not collected
In general, you can assume that we may collect the following personal information about you:
- the name of your employer or your company if you are self-employed;
- occupation/position title;
- workplace address;
- email address;
- telephone numbers;
- the date you entered the Chemistry Australia database;
- credit card details;
- details about you to assist in managing our relationship with you, including details about interactions between you and Chemistry Australia employees; and
- details of the products or services we have provided to you or that you have enquired about, including any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and respond to your enquiries.
For each visitor to our Website, we may also collect other non-personally identifiable information, including your IP address, the date and time of your visit to our site, the pages viewed and information downloaded.
If you do not provide the necessary personal information, we may not be able to provide you or your employer with the goods, services or information that you have requested from us or your employer.
3. How we collect personal information
In the course of providing you with products and services, Chemistry Australia collects personal information in a variety of ways. If your employer is a member of Chemistry Australia, the majority of your personal information that is collected by us is collected through your employer (including from your colleagues) in connection with the provision of services to our corporate members.
At the time of collection, or as soon as practicable after we have collected it, we will take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to notify you of the collection and of any matters relevant to the collection, unless it is obvious from the circumstances that you would know or would expect us to have the information.
In general, we collect personal information about the following people:
- individuals who are Honorary Members;
- employees of member companies;
- individuals who register for and/or attend our events; and
- individuals who are external stakeholders, for example, staff from government departments, political advisors, event sponsors, consultants and staff from other industry associations.
Chemistry Australia may collect personal information about you when:
- your employer joins Chemistry Australia as a new member or its or your contact details are updated;
- when a third party referral takes place and a third party refers you or your employer to us for membership purposes;
- you engage with our business and its employees, including in the course of receiving services from us;
- you visit our website, www.chemistryaustralia.org.au (Website);
- you make an enquiry about our products and/or services (including through our Website);
- you register for an event, including through our online event registration system;
- you become a client or debtor of Chemistry Australia;
- you ask to be placed on one of our mailing lists;
- you acquire goods or services through our Website or otherwise; and
- you supply goods or services to us.
In some cases, we will reach out to individuals with whom we have not had prior dealings (for example, government contacts, organisations in our industry or individuals from member companies who are not on our database) to communicate with them, including to invite them to our events. In this case, we may receive your personal information from your organisation. When we make contact with you, we will inform you how we have obtained your personal information and why we have contacted you.
4. Sharing of your personal information
As well as disclosure to your employer, who may be a member of Chemistry Australia, we may also disclose your personal information to:
- external providers of services that we may use to operate our business and manage our business systems (for example, this may include events planning and management companies, e-communications service providers, file storage service providers, database and mailing service providers, marketing service providers; couriers and/or freight service providers, printers, call centres, providers of payment processing and identity verification services and IT technicians who may need access when providing on-site support (although it is our practice for them to work under supervision));
- our professional advisors and agents; or
- our existing or potential agents, business partners or partners.
We may disclose your personal information to these third parties so that they can assist us with providing the best possible service to you or your employer.
If you are an Honorary Member of Chemistry Australia, we will disclose your name and the fact that you are an Honorary Member of Chemistry Australia on our Website. We may also disclose this information in materials (such as flyers and emails) distributed to other third parties, including other members.
Those organisations to whom such disclosure is made will be permitted to access only the personal information they need to deliver the service to Chemistry Australia or to you. Chemistry Australia takes reasonable steps to ensure that these organisations are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations in relation to the protection of your personal information.
We are not likely to disclose information to overseas recipients unless it is with your consent, or the disclosure is required or authorised by law.
The privacy and collection practices of entities to which we disclose personal information are governed by their own privacy policies and collection notices.
We will not otherwise disclose information about you unless the disclosure:
- is required or authorised by law; or
- you have consented to our disclosing the information about you.
6. Contact us
Our contact details in respect of any issues in relation to privacy are:
|+613 9611 5400
Attn: Privacy Officer